Saturday, June 10, 2006

Still Blocked, Still Blogging (about sex, God, and Jewish prayers)



1st thought..On being blocked

(when it comes to preposterous acts that I cannot even begin to fathom, like censorship, I'm speechless … so I'll use some quotes to express my thoughts)

I never heard of anyone who was really literate or who ever really loved books who wanted to suppress any of them. Censors only read a book with great difficulty, moving their lips as they puzzle out each syllable, when someone tells them that the book is unfit to read.
-----------------------------------
Robertson Davies



"الموت مصير المهر الجامح .. بين البهم المركوبة ! "

هل يمكن أن يزنى الفكر ـ يا أوفيليا بالفكر؟
ـ يمكن جداً فى الدانمرك ـ ما من شىء فى
الدنمرك محال ـ غير الطهر.

------------------------------نجيب سرور


فصودرت حنجرتي بجرم قلة الأدب ،
.وصودر القرآن، لأنه حرضني على الشغب

------------------------------أحمد مطر


Censorship is the tool of those who have the need to hide actualities from themselves and others. Their fear is only their inability to face what is real. Somewhere in their upbringing they were shielded against the total facts of our experience. They were only taught to look one way when many ways exist.

------------------------------Charles Bukowski


(On other blocked blogs)
Yes, there are now other blocked blogs in Saudi. the land of sand, to name one.. so, who's gonna be next?


(On my fellow bloggers' –Saudi and non-Saudi- response to this whole thing)
Bloggers who posted about it and called for action:
Farooha:
Eve's Bayou
Sandmonkey: Unblock Eve
My Head: Bloggers Defend your Rights
Kharabee6: Rescue the Marginalized
pheras: More Petitions to Sign
Aya: Your Cyber Censorship Mission Will Fail
Hyscience : A Real Life' Internet Version Of 'Fahrenheit 451' ?
raf* : Saudi Cyber-Vigilantes effect first Saudi blog ban
ubergirl87: Eve Will Be Back, Because I Said So
Dark Sun: A Tiny Bit of Pushback in the Saudi Blogosphere
Slayer: SaudiEve
Jewaira: Blocked
Sabbah: Unblock Eve’s Blog
Saudi Jeans:
ISU have blocked SaudiEve's blog,
Step-by-Step: tell them they should unblock Eve
The 4th Dimension: Saudi Eve… is blocked!
The Arabist: Help unblock Eve
The skeptic: Saudi Blog Blocked
UAE community blog: Support Saudi Eve
Fouad elfarhen: مدينة الملك عبدالعزيز تحجب مدونة سعودية
Tech Bee: Debloquez Eve
Bloggers who posted the Unblock Saudi Eve badges:
Dodo, Fedo, lostInTransilation, Bissa, Mystique, The Way of Zen
Thank you, thank you all.

(On pro- KACST-bloggers posting about the issue)
I bet they are dying to give their two cents in some specially dedicated post.. but for the time being they've done so on Fouad elfarhen's blog: مدينة الملك عبدالعزيز تحجب مدونة سعودية



2nd thought…

As you know

i was traveling

in May.. and

May was hard,

very hard..

which i'll write about in a seperate post. soon.

______________________

That sanity be kept I sit at open windows,

Regard the sky, make unobtrusive comment on the moon,

Sit at open windows in my shirt,

And let the traffic pass, the signals shine,

The engines run, the brass bands keep in tune,

For sanity must be preserved.

Dylan Thomas's

..

..

..

Posted by SaudiEve at 1:21 AM

6 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 2:49 AM, June 10, 2006  
    Don't worry, Eve. We are working to unblock your blog. Keep on bloggin'
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:11 PM, June 10, 2006  
    Sorry in your previous post I mentioned that I read about your dilemma on "Ayya's blog".
    It was Jewaira's blog where I read & commented about it.
    I'm sure this issue will be worked out, otherwise the morons will have to go ahead & actually block the whole blogger.com domain. Let's see how THAT would work. (Remember China?)
    Goddamn Communists.
  3. Blogger Rasheed's World posted at 1:11 AM, June 12, 2006  
    Dear Saudi Eve,

    I'm still waiting to hear from you. Please email me at: rasheedaboualsamh@yahoo.com, as I need some quotes from you about being blocked. I already talked to Ahmed and Farah, and my deadline is looming!
    I don't bite.....promise! :)

    Rasheed
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 3:01 AM, June 15, 2006  
    I just started a new blog, and i don\'t know what I\'ll do if \"they\" blocked it!!!

    Your bad experience could be a good thing for other Saudi bloggers to watch out, and know that they are targeted, so your taking one for the teem, be proud.

    Wish you the best, and I\'ll start working on the unblock forum right now.
  5. Blogger Unknown posted at 6:35 PM, June 19, 2006  
    I'm a blogger from Singapore. I read about your predicament in the Christian Science Monitor report Saudi women unveil opinions online. I just have to say this conservative crap is so pathetic. In fact, OCSAB would have been a butt of alot of jokes over here and a laughing stock. As for KACST, i just have to shake my head in disgust as well. Using religion to subjugate and repress women...it doesn't matter what religion it is, its still pathetic! I pray you'll be able to blog as per normal again. :-))
  6. Blogger Unknown posted at 6:09 PM, February 27, 2007  
    hi eve,my name is zeina, i am a director/filmmaker, lebanese, living in london, and i am wokring on a project to make 4 short films based on blogs, for UK tv. i really like your stories - can we chat more about the possibility? here is a link to one of my films so you can see the type of work i do: www.largeblue.com/extranet/irl/irl_long.mov please get in touch zeina.ah@gmail.com

Post a Comment

« Home