Friday, December 09, 2005

SSS: Saudi Stupid Songs


In early November of every year for the last ten years , I search the cabinet where I keep my old cassettes for a “Dave Matthews Band” cassette, cause every year at the first glimpse of raindrop on this God forsaken desert I need to hear him –Dave Matthews- say: “could I have been a parking lot attendant, could I have been a millionaire, could I have been anyone other than me …”.
When I get sick and my pharmacophobia kicks in big time from a silly silly silly little pain relief pill that any kid would take with out noticing it ain’t M&M’s I listen to “Alanis Morisette” saying “that I would be good if I got and stayed sick… that I would be good even if I lost sanity”.
When I visit my 30 boys that I have “emotionally adopted” at the orphanage and leave feeling helpless after trading them some of my endless hope with some of their endless despair I listen to Phill Collins say “oh, think twice, cause it’s just another day for you and me in paradise”.
When my forgiving nature falls short of forgiving someone who has done me wrong thirteen years ago I listen to “Match Box Twenty” saying: I wanna push you around, I wanna put you down, yeh I will! yeh I will!”
When I watch another war starting at spring time when people just ought to be loving each other instead I listen to “the cranberries” singing: may you see, it’s not me, it’s not my family in your head, in your head their fighting. With their guns and their bombs and their bombs and their bombs..”
When I expect it’s high time i find my prince charming but have to settle for the time being for prince ain’t-no-amount-of-kissing’s-gonna-make-anything-but-a-bastard-outta-that I listen to “George Michael” singing: so why don’t we make a little room in my BMW babe, searching for some peace of mind, I’ll help you find it. I do believe we are practicing the same religion”

On a slightly different note, whenever I look at Saudi boys/young men happily dancing to “ya leel 5brnee 3n amr alme3anat” in a supposedly “happy” occasion in a live concert of their favorite singer ever “Mohammad Abdu” while on their summer/winter vacations in Beirut, Paris, or London. Or gals/women in wedding parties dancing to their favorite for such an occasion “sob7ano we gidro 3lek we 5alok tinsa a7babk” I wonder: is this country all masochistic?
I have nothing against Arabic songs… new ones … old ones … good ones … bad ones… even ugly ones, and I know there are songs like: min bade alwgt. I just would like to see more songs coming from us Arabs -(especially Saudi’s) who give very high value to values such as: helping the needy, accepting reality as it is, altwkl 3la Allah…etc.- about these subjects and less songs about: well, lost love that ironicaly “we” Saudi’s don’t believe in.

Posted by SaudiEve at 7:50 PM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Abu-Joori posted at 10:27 PM, December 09, 2005  
    Who ?
    What ?
    Values?? in songs!
    ya shee5aah!
    I don't think we hear about values in shcools or mosques .. we will hear about them in songs!

    I do think that such thing needs to be studied .. why the west have songs that talk about love .. but as well .. could talk about many other things in life ! .. while we almost never have such songs.. specially here in Arabia!
  2. Blogger SaudiEve posted at 11:17 PM, December 10, 2005  
    (abu J.)

    "I don't think we hear about values in shcools or mosques" hmmm...can't top that !!!


    "needs to be studied "... We are one truly unique specimen

Post a Comment

« Home